Tuesday 15 September 2015

Palace Pinafores

It was time to switch up the pinafore for Autumnal dressing.

And what better place to do it than at the Royal dwellings in Edinburgh.


It was a gloriously sunny day in Edinburgh when I took a wander down to the Palace of Holyrood. It's great to play at being tourist for the day and doing things that you wouldn't normally on a Saturday and the weekend I went along there was a classic car show going on as well. I picked out my favourites wandering around the courtyard - where there were a whole lot of tweed jackets and lovely ladies.

We peeked through the wrought iron fence to the garden party they were holding and chose our favourite dresses!

Although not as fancy a denim pinafore is up there...


I originally bought this Toppers number in the summer and took it on holiday to throw on over bikinis with sandals and ice cream. However, it works just as well as the weather turns chillier and we move into Autumn.

I love its simple cut, with the thick straps and seams to give it some shape. The big pockets add some simple detail and it's just such an easy weekend outfit to pop on.

One of the great things about this pinafore is that it's perfect to wear with bare shoulders, but it's also made for layering. I can't wait to snuggle up in roll-necks popped on underneath, or to layer the denim over breton stripes. For my tourist trip I just put on a simple long-sleeved top to myself some warmth as the weather was cooling.

Plus it's denim which is just fantastic and nods to the trend that sees the often overlooked material being celebrated.


I should really have added some sort of amazing tiara or crown to my ensemble for a day at the palace, but I thought that was maybe a tad over-the-top. But anyway, I think this pinafore is definitely going to be my go-to Saturday outfit and it was great for wandering around the beautiful courtyard, taking in the gorgeously old fountain and grand building.

Unfortunately you can't take any pictures inside the palace, so you should definitely go to take it all in yourself! The state rooms are full of history and interesting tales. But my favourite part was definitely Mary Queen of Scots quarters. It's remained largely untouched and had an air of drama and historical stories. There is beautiful furnishings and amazing bits and bobs.

I also loved the tumbling down abbey outside. There was a magical atmosphere to it and it felt like a very special place.

Accessories wise all I needed was a simple gold chain, tan boots, my favourite Mango bag and a slick of red lipstick.

As the afternoon drew to an end I threw on my navy jacket.


I love this lightweight almost 'gown-like' jacket from Forever 21. It's been a saviour on cooler summer evenings and the billowing sleeves, tuxedo-effect and over-sized cut are just beaut.

I'm definitely going to spend more weekends exploring the sights on my doorstep - probs just wearing this every Saturday....

Jacket - Forever 21
Denim Pinafore - Topshop
Top - H&M
Boots - New Look (915 Range)
Necklace - Forever 21
Bag - Mango



No comments:

Post a Comment